Ecology and Environment, Inc. is seeking one or more temporary (on-call) Avian Specialists/Biologists (reporting to Buffalo, NY office) to work on avian surveys in western and central New York and possibly elsewhere. This position will be responsible for performing wintering raptor and breeding bird surveys using a range of bird sampling techniques including visual/auditory identification. Our successful candidate must have a good understanding of avian surveys and be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Conduct avian surveys in western NY, central NY, and possibly elsewhere
- Conduct wintering raptor surveys, breeding bird surveys, and possibly other bird surveys
- Compiling and processing data
- Provide support, if necessary, for wetland delineations, bat field surveys, plant and habitat surveys, and vegetation characterizations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Environmental Science or a closely related discipline preferred but not required
- Six months to three years of field experience conducting avian surveys and recording point count and/or transect data
- Strong visual/auditory bird identification skills (must be able to identify birds by their call/songs) and familiarity with regional avian populations and survey protocol
- Other field skills such as wetland delineations, bat field surveys, plant and habitat surveys, and vegetation characterizations an asset, but not required
- Ability to walk for several miles and work in extreme temperatures and rough terrain in remote locations
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and ability to work independently and within a team setting
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel, and Google Earth
- Experience with iPAD and/or Trimble hand-held GPS units preferred but not required
- Preference for individuals with CPR/First Aid Training
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to travel to project sites
We are a global network of innovators and problem solvers, dedicated professionals and industry leaders in scientific, engineering, and planning disciplines working together with our clients to develop technically sound, science-based solutions to the leading environmental challenges of our time. E & E offers opportunities for growth in a team-oriented environment. Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.; Visa sponsorship will not be provided. Please view our website at www.ene.com to apply on-line.
Ecology and Environment, Inc. is an EO and AA employer – M/F/Vets/Disabled/and other protected categories.